We have Mr. Tye Odom to speak about proven white hat methods. He is the Director of SEO at Randall-Reilly. He has a decade of experience in search engine optimization and has a history of working in the marketing and advertising industry. Tye, welcome to the show.
Time Stamp: 02:08-04:04
Q. Can you tell us more about the black hat SEO techniques that are still prevalent today but are considered as white hat tactics?
- I believe the white hat SEO is going to likely stand the test of time with Google.
- If your SEO strategies do not provide value to the users, they will be considered black hat or grey hat by Google.
- Therefore, you need to create content that’s valuable to the users and optimize your site that’s useful to the people.
Time Stamp: 04:40-06:38
Q. Can you tell us some of the white hat SEO methods that are future-proof?
- Your site architecture and authoritative content are always going to stand the test of time with Google.
- Other things like internal links on your homepage, navigation, and footer are also going to be important and future-proof.
- You always need to pay attention to the number of links on your homepage because the PageRank flows from your homepage to other pages on your site.
- The structure of the site is also an important part to consider.
Time Stamp: 07:00-08:41
Q. Do you think that adding hundreds of links to each city in a particular state at the footer of a page is valuable for sites?
- I don’t think such links at the bottom of the footer are valuable.
- Adding strategic links that are editorially given within a piece of content is always the best way to go.
- Editorial links are always more valuable than links added at the bottom of the footer.
Time Stamp: 10:26-13:40
Q. What is the safest way to rank new sites through white hat SEO?
- These days, I’d definitely put a lot of focus on the page-loading speed.
- A Google Developer’s chat states that any page that takes more than 3 seconds to load with lose half of its visitors on that page.
- Site architecture is also very important. You need to keep your homepage pretty simple.
- As you keep building PageRank, you can gradually grow the number of links on your site.
- Writing high-quality and unique content is another important thing to implement. Avoid having thin content on your site.
Time Stamp: 14:45-16:03
Q. What, according to you, the best backlink that you can get on your website?
- The best backlink that you can get is from another authoritative site that has content relevant to yours.
- You have to build relationships with websites and people from related industries so that there’s a lot common between both of you.
Time Stamp: 16:53-19:09
Q. Have you come across any situation where a negative SEO attack happened to a site?
- I’ve come across a site that was probably hit by a negative SEO attack.
- We tried looking at every last resource we can. We used a lot of different tools and created a big list so that we can disavow.
- Staying on top of your backlink profile and manually checking as many links as you can is recommended.
- Look for domains associated with a bad link neighborhood and knock them out as soon as possible.
Time Stamp: 19:40-21:11
Q. What are the recommended schemas for people to look after?
- For me, it’s about not being spammy and staying away from anything that looks manipulative.
- Don’t start adding different schemas that don’t apply to your websites. Use only the ones that go well with your industry.
- Don’t include keywords that don’t apply to your company just in hopes of getting traffic, or you’ll end up getting penalized.