Every company looks forward to having their business on Google Maps Search Results. Having your business on Google maps also means that your business listings has more chance of appearing on Google organic search. This means, optimizing the business in Google Map will ensure that you rank top for local search results.
In this post, we will discuss how your business can show up in local search results and the factors that help to rank your business on Google maps.
The primal task is getting your business listed on Google My Business (GMB). There are a plethora of tactics you can employ so that Google places the business on top of the local listings.
Optimizing your Google My Business and ranking on Google Maps is the way forward for local businesses to increase the foot falls.
Search Engine Optimization helps websites rank their content on top of Google SERP. As you already know, any position outside of Google’s first page is usually considered as an abandoned graveyard.
If you are a local business owner, the same rules applies when it comes to ranking on Google My Business and the coveted Google Maps Pack. These are massive traffic drivers to your websites/store/shop if your business is top-ranked.
The Google local business listing optimization is so robust that it drives you umpteen customers without you necessarily knowing a great deal about SEO.
The better you rank in the business listing, the more trustworthy you become. More the trust you gain more will be your brand reach the target audience.
As we already told you, a website is not a prerequesite to start Google My Business or to even add your business on Google Map. However, you can build an essential business website if your requirements are asking for it.
If you want to rank better, knowing Google My business SEO is essential. We hope you use this post to know how to get your business on Google maps, how to rank higher, and how you can perform Google local business listing optimization.
Why Rank Higher on Google Maps Pack?
If you own a business that sells products and services to a local audience, then becoming visible in the first 3 spots of Google Maps listing also known as Google Maps Pack is immensely important.
Appearing on the top 3 spots of the Maps Pack SERP Feature will not only provide the right level of exposure to your business, but also significantly improve sign-ups, site visitations, phone calls, and other desirable conversions.
For example, if you own a restaurant in Broadway, New York, then you have more foot falls if you rank on the top 3 spots in the Google local search results.
The reason being, when when people in Broadway search for ‘restaurants near me’ you are right there on top, even before the first web listing.
Earlier, Google featured the top 7 local listing in the Google Maps Pack. However, now it pick only the best three that best fits the related search query. If you want to see more results, you have to click on ‘More Results’ to see other options.
So, in order to obtain the utmost exposure, better credibility, more relevancy, and high traffic inflow, it is imperative for your business to appear in the top 3 spots in the Google local searches.
Although there are many factors to consider in this regard, there are some factors that are a little more significant than others and may affect your Google Maps rankings. Some of these factors include:
- GMB (Google My Business) Profile
- Quality Backlinks
- On-Page Relevance
- NAPs (Name Address and Phone Number) and Citations
Since most people now use ‘near me’ queries on Google Maps to find out the suitable business for their needs, appearing in the first 3 spots on the Google Pack Page could just prove to be valuable for your business growth.
Further listed are some of the key benefits of getting ranked on the top 3 positions of Google Maps.
Key Benefits of Getting Ranked in the Google Maps Pack
- Over 85% of consumers, who search for any local business on the Google Maps, visit that business within 24 to 48 hours.
- As per Google’s report, around 28% of these Google Map local searches usually result in a purchase.
- It has been observed that people are now making quick purchase decisions based on the customer reviews, credibility scores, and online reputation of any business. And in the Google Maps listing, customers can easily find these crucial pieces of information. Therefore, it is imperative that you get your business rank on he Google Map local rankings in order to acquire heavy customer inflow.
- It is a well-known fact that Google Maps results are relevant and interactive. It actually allows consumers to find directions to the requisite business in just a few clicks and make a direct phone call from the search results. Therefore, achieving top search rankings on Google Maps local listing will actually help your business to acquire the maximum exposure along with high traffic.
Determining the Google Maps Ranking
As we all know, Google Maps results are primarily based on the searcher’s location and therefore, there are two key factors that could potentially influence your business ranking on the Google Maps listings. These two factors include:
- Credibility & Visibility – The high credibility of your business the more likely it appears on top search rankings in the Google Maps Pack. It is important for you to know that there are certain factors that could actually influence the local visibility of your business on Google Maps local search results page. These factors may include mentions on social media, mentions from other websites, and social media tags from influencers. In addition to this, having citations on local directories could also play a major role in enhancing your business rankings on Google Maps Pack listings.
- Positive Reviews – Google takes proper account of the positive reviews in order to determine the apt ranking of your business on Google local pack page. If you are not aware, then I would like to bring this to your notice that positive reviews will not only add up to the better credibility of your business, but also lead to more conversions and high ROIs. To put it simply, positive reviews can significantly improve your credibility scores and lead your business to accomplishing higher conversion rates.
How Do I Get on Google Maps?
It is a well-known fact that getting your business to appear on the first page of the search engine results page can potentially increase web traffic inflow to your website.
In a similar way, getting your business ranked on the top-3 positions of Google Maps listing will eventually increase customer traffic to your business store and enhance your conversions.
Putting your business on Google Maps actually means paving a broader way for larger brand reach for your business.
In addition to acquiring heavy customer inflow to your business store, you can also increase the organic traffic by ranking on top of Google Maps.
Google Maps listing basically includes directions to your store as well as your business website. Therefore, getting on Google maps and acquiring any of the top 3 positions will eventually increase the organic traffic to your business website along with more people visiting your business store.
As a matter of fact, the more frequently your business name appears on the Google Maps local rankings, the more exposure it will receive and people will start visiting your business.
So, if you’re wondering how to rank higher on Google Maps or how to get listed on Google, then you need to follow certain necessary steps in order to get your business featured on the top 3 positions of Google Maps listing.
3 Important Steps to Add Your Business on Google Maps
So, if you’re ready to put your business on Google Maps in order to get it organically displayed among the targeted local audience, then you can consider pursuing these 3 easy-to-follow steps:
- Check out whether or not your business is already listed – Before adding your business on Google Maps, it is imperative that you check out the Google Maps listing to see whether your business is already listed on Google Maps. You can type your business name on the search bar and if it shows up, then it means your business already exists in the Google Maps Listing. However, if your business doesn’t show up, then you will notice a prompt below the search bar to add the missing place.
- If your business is not listed, create a new place – In order to add your business as a new place in the Google Maps listing, you need to click on the prompt that appears in the search results page. This prompt will allow you to add a new place. While creating a new business place, you need to provide your business name, business address, and category. In addition to this, it is important that you perform the right category selection for your business. Choosing the apt category will eventually enable your business to show up in relevant search results page alongside making it connect with the targeted local audience.
- After being listed, Claim your Google listing – Creating a new place for your business will simply put your business on Google Maps. It doesn’t mean that your business will rank higher on Google Maps. Therefore, in order to acquire top search rankings and appear in relevant local searches on Google Maps, it is imperative that you optimize your Google My Business listing. Optimizing your GMB listing requires submission of appropriate business information as well as its timely revision on Google Maps listing. It is important for you to know that anyone can add a place on Google Maps listing but in order to add or update your business information on Google My Business, it is imperative that you first claim your business listing. In order to claim your listing, you need to click on ‘Claim this Business’ tag after you’ve added your business as a new place on the Google Maps listing.
How does Google My Business work?
Opening an account and claiming your business on Google maps is the first step to doing local SEO for your business.
Once you’ve filled in all your information and essential business details alongside selecting the right business category, Google will verify your business by sending you a postcard to the address added in the Google Maps listing.
The postcard that you get contains a secret verification PIN, which has to be entered to complete the Google My Business verification process.
You can also opt for options like email verification, phone verification, or instant verification to complete your business verification process if available.
Completing the verification process will eventually prove that you are the real owner of the specified business.
You can include all the necessary details in the business listing once your account is verified. It would help if you looked into your account at regular intervals to check the clicks, subscribers, and impressions received for your business listing.
Regular checks and interaction of the target audience with the Google My Business listing is a signal for Google that your business is worth displaying on the Google Maps Pack
Listing business in Google My Business is not the only thing that’s necessary for local SEO. You have to superintend on-page and off-page SEO as well.
How Do I Rank Higher in Google Maps?
It is a renowned fact that getting into the top 3 positions on Google Maps can actually benefit your business and prove to be extremely profitable for you as well as your prospective clients. In addition to this, the top Google My Business ranking of your business also acts as a key performance indicator for your clients as well as other online visitors who come to search for local SEO services or leads on Google Maps. So, if you want your business to rank higher on Google maps, then here are 6 easy and proven steps that your need to follow in order to reach to the Google Maps top 3 pack.
- Include Main Keywords in your GMB Business Name – This is one of the most crucial ranking factors that you need to consider in order to improve your business’ Google Maps ranking. If you want more and more customers to connect to your business, then it is imperative that you include the main keywords in your business name. It is important for you to know that Google sometimes shows a business name for a high-ticket-money keyword and shares the company’s information with the customers. So, utilizing this method of including the primary keyword in your GMB name will eventually help your business to win an uphill battle against its competitors.
- Select the Right Business categories and max them out – It is possible for the listed GMB categories to not perfectly fit every business. Therefore, in order to rank higher on Google Maps listing, you need to make sure that your primary business categories are matched properly, in close context with the main keywords. The best way to do this is by typing in your main keywords in the category box and maxing out your second business categories with the relevant options. In this way, you can enhance your impressions for other business category keywords and achieve high rankings on Google My Business listings.
- Create Local Relevance and Citations – Building local relevance, niche, and citations via on-page and off-page optimizations is a big aspect of local SEO. For off-page optimization, you can consider building niche and local relevance. You can also focus on building local citations and get them indexed by linking them to your business website via the Google mobile-friendly testing tool. Sending these citations to an indexing service is also a great way of getting them indexed.
- Secure Your On-Page – If you’re not aware, then I would like to bring this to your knowledge that on-page is a crucial factor in SEO and therefore, it is imperative that you fix and secure your on-page in order to acquire top rankings on Google Maps. There are certain elements that you need to take into consideration while fixing your on-page. Some of these elements are listed below.
- UI/UX – Make sure that your business website is mobile friendly and has its SSL certificate installed in order to allow your website to rank higher on Google Maps and organic search results page. Choosing a mobile-friendly design and having an SSL certificate installed will not only offer direct ranking benefits to your business website but also benefit it indirectly by increasing conversions and lowering the potential bounce rates.
- SEO Optimized Content – If you want your business to rank higher on Google Maps, then you need to make sure your landing page content is authoritative and attached to your Google My Business listings. Make sure that you use appropriate keywords, geo-tagged images, related geo modifiers, relevant keywords, and their LSI versions, and place them uniformly throughout the page multiple times.
- NAP Information – Including the NAP (Name Address and Phone Number) information on your Google Maps page is also a great idea. You can consider using proper schema markups together with the embedded Google Maps and check it using the Google structured data testing tool. It will eventually help your business to rank higher in organic search results page and Google Maps.
- Get Social Signals – Social Signals are becoming immensely important in Google Maps as well as online organic searches. It is important for you to know that these social signals are actually based on your site’s likes, shares, and overall social media appearance. So, you can acquire these social signals by running a social media marketing ad, or by purchasing a social signals service. It will not only provide more web traffic and exposure to your business but also help it reach its potential customers.
- Acquire More Positive Reviews – Positive reviews can greatly help your website to rank higher on Google Maps. So, if you want to obtain some quality reviews for your business, then you can consider putting up your Google Maps review link on your invoices, business cards, and email signatures. Although it is technically incorrect and inappropriate for any business to ask for reviews, you can just try making it as easy as possible for your potential customers to give some positive reviews to your business.
Following these 6 steps will eventually help your business to rank higher in Google Maps and connect will the targeted local audience in the best possible manner. Once you’ve performed all these measures, just keep adding information, interactive, and engaging guest posts until you hit the top 3 spots of Google Maps.
The Vital Aspects of Google Maps Ranking
Features such as relevance, proximity, prominence and industry domains used to be the basis for Google Maps ranking.
Google, however, has several other aspects in consideration to allow Google Maps ranking.
It has helped many small and medium-sized industries to giddy-up in Google my business listings, because, otherwise they may have been dominated by the well-established big-budget companies.
1. Verify Google My Business Listing
It is cardinal to verify your business listing in Google because it won’t show your business on Google maps until it’s verified.
Verify every category you have mentioned in Google. The more the authority, the better the Google My Business ranking in the SERPs.
Make sure you update everything about your business in Google My Business listing, also add the below features:
- Business operation timings: Updating your business hours in Google My Business can fetch incalculable potential customers. Google maps render information about business whether it’s open or closed or whether it’s about to close or open. This will help the customers to track your working schedule before they visit you.
- Update contact and website address: Google emphasizes businesses which provide complete information and verifies with them. Hence, it is important to update your information like telephone number, address, and website address so Google can assist users by providing your accurate information on the Google maps.
- Avoid inept and matching business information: Google belittles businesses with duplicate information or businesses with multiple locations for single located business or having multiple phone numbers. Make sure to put aside redundant information and update the precise data in Google maps.
- Include keywords: Google maps use different algorithms to provide search results just like traditional SEO. Similarly, it emphasizes search phrases and keywords to rank a business listing. Since your business is already listed in Google My Business, the results will be incredible if you add the keywords as well. LSI keywords usage also helps you in getting the plethora of keywords you can use.
- Include photos: The photos on Google My Business perform way better than the business owners, and marketers can think. Google reported that the businesses with photos on Google My Business got 35 percent clicks through to the websites and 42 percent driving direction requests than businesses without photos.
2. Invite for Google Reviews
Customer reviews are very important snippets present on any website. The first thing people see on any website be it informational, investigational or transactional is the customer reviews.
Similarly, it is important to get reviews for your business from the business my listing which can show reviews to users on Google maps.
Moreover, you may know that Google reviews render considerable rise in conversion rates than other local SEO strategies.
The surveys prove that more the number of reviews on business, more trustworthy will be the business; the customers typically view up to six reviews to make up their mind on business.
3. Insert the Google Map on Your Website
One of the other ways to get a better rank on Google maps is to inserting your Google map location on the website. You may have seen such maps on other websites before.
Inserting Google maps on the website ensures Google that you are in the location mentioned on Google My Business. Add the name of your business to the location, and it outreaches to the audience.
Inserting Google Maps on a website is easy. Get your physical location on Google map, click on the three-lined button beside your venture name and right-click on ‘share map.’ You get a link which you should copy and post it on the business contact page.
4. Categorize Your Business Accurately
Google provides you with five categories to leverage in Google My Business. Don’t miss out on using these categories. You can use these categories while claiming Google map listing.
Most business owners are not aware of this option. Ensure that you utilize it proficiently. The primary category should be used magnificently.
Add your business classification the primary category for example fashion or restaurant and include local SEO keyword descriptions such as Dallas fashion or paradise restaurant that act as additional classifications.
5. Consistently Evaluate Business Ranking
Once you have updated the business on Google My Business listing, you need to track your ranking regularly; if your rank is low, and then you should consider citing your business more. You may do it by:
- Inspecting the citations of businesses that rank above you. Surf through the various directories to find where their business listed and add your listing there.
- Avail link building services from authoritative websites to your Google My Business.
- Make sure your business listing is accurate in Google maps.
- Build strong online tenure and list business on third-party sites, as well such as Foursquare, Yelp, and YellowPages.
- If you are new to the business, get citations building services from the GMB-savvy companies.
6. Provide a Local Contact Number
Google checks for the toll-free numbers while ranking sites on Google maps to despise the spam numbers. By having a local contact number prove it that your number is genuine.
If you crave for the topmost rank on Google maps, add a local number in Google My Business listing. Local number having the precise area code builds trust with Google as it matches with your right location. You can put a toll-free number on your website if you wish to.
7. Do Your Site Optimization
It looks like we are never going to break-up with SEO, right? Yes, of course not. The motto of optimizing your website is to enhance the chances of displaying up in Google My Business-it is acquired by localization.
Check in the screenshot that the top-ranked local site turns out is the top in organic listings. So, keep being attentive in optimizing your website too because the top-ranked organic sites are also the highly ranked Google My Business ranked sites.
8. Integrate Your Business with Google+
Integrating your business with Google+ enhances and builds the authority of your business account on Google maps business listings.
Uniting business with Google+ will help you to:
- Come up with content posts that can help customers to read.
- It helps you to respond to the reviews.
- It helps in having the cover photo of your business advertising to the customers.
Cheat Sheet to Optimize Google My Business Listing
Getting on Google maps requires your listing on Google My Business. Make sure you add precise and accurate information about your business in it. You will damage your rank and brand if you provide inaccurate details.
We hope the cheat sheet help you claim a rank on Google maps:
- Include your real business name in the business listing.
- Select the appropriate category of your business.
- Include complete information about you in the business listing, update 100 percent profile.
- Update and keep tracking your active mobile number enrolled in business listing.
- Explore the business operating hours to see which time suits your niche customers.
- Upload your business photos, review and see if they can be enhanced to attract customers.
- Do careful about the spam websites; don’t create citations on such websites and directories.
- Include Google maps on your website.
- Respond to customer reviews on Google maps.
- Most importantly, always keep your site up to date.
It is not like listing your business and forgetting about it. The algorithms change, and so do the listed businesses. It is better to keep yourself active, supervise reviews and analyze tactics to be on top of the Google maps always.
Insight into Business on Google Maps
Everything that we have discussed in this blog adds on to help you rank your business better on Google maps. Following all these steps is a sure way to boost your ranks. However, if that doesn’t happen, don’t be disheartened. There must be something that you might be missing out on. There’s always scope for improvement.
Sometimes, even businesses that don’t have a website rank on top. This happens because the owners take time to get their business listed in 1300 directories.
Listing businesses on directories have its own kind of impact, and thus, can never be underestimated.
Follow the basic steps and keep pursuing more customer reviews on Google My Business, list your business in more and more number of directories, employ optimization strategies.
The more you do, the more you get. If you know any other tactics, you have used to rank your business on Google maps. Feel free to discuss here in the comments section.